FossID Privacy Notice
In the event that our website includes hyperlinks to other websites neither owned nor managed by us, please note that FossID is not associated with these third-party websites and does not review their privacy policies or privacy notices. We cannot guarantee the privacy of any information that may be obtained by third parties at these other websites. We strongly encourage you to review the privacy policies of any website you visit before supplying personal information through that website.
What information is being collected and how is it being collected?
We collect personal information, which is defined as any information that may be used to identify an individual. If we link other data with your personal information, we will treat that linked data as personal information.
- first and last name;
- e-mail address;
- postal or physical address or other contact information;
- social media account information;
- IP addresses or other access log information; or
- certain other information needed to answer a request or inquiries, provide information and services, fulfill contractual obligations or
- comply with legal obligations that FossID is subject to.
To the extent permitted by applicable law, we and the third parties we engage may combine the information we collect from you over time and across our Website or across your use of the FossID products or services with information obtained from other sources. This helps us improve the overall accuracy and completeness of the information and our provision of information, products or services to you, and this also helps us better tailor our interactions with you.
If you choose to provide FossID with a third party’s personal information (such as name, email, and phone number), you represent that you have the third party’s permission to do so.
Why is personal information being collected?
We collect personal information for the purposes set forth below:
- operation, maintenance, performance and monitoring usage of our Website;
- responding to an inquiry or feedback by you and otherwise improving delivery of information and services;
- viewing of product demonstrations and software trials;
- accessing of white papers, e-books, and other marketing collateral;
- participation in marketing promotions, seminars, training courses or in-person or online events;
- request feedback from you on our Website or FossID products or services, current or future, or request User surveys;
- personalizing your experience, improving our products or services and interactions, as well as interaction quality and consistency with you;
- direct marketing by e-mail or phone by FossID or its marketing service providers (e.g., marketing through physical mail, e-mail, and social media), including providing you with information about other FossID products or services that might be of interest to you, current or future (If you do not wish to receive marketing information, you may opt out by declining marketing information when registering or otherwise providing your information when requesting FossID marketing information or by following opt out instructions included in such communications or by sending an e-mail to email@example.com with the subject “Opt out from marketing information”);
- processing your order or your employer’s order, if you have been designated by your employer as a contact for billing or payment purposes, issuing and sending invoices, and taking payment;
- creating an account;
- registration of products or otherwise enabling the use of our products or services;
- providing, managing and administering our products and services, such as technical support, consulting, product-related or other services;
- performing the contract that we have entered into with you, your employer or a third party, including monitoring usage of our products or services;
- career opportunities;
- other legitimate purposes permitted by applicable law.
What is the legal basis for collecting personal information?
We collect and process personal information on the following legal bases:
- processing is based on consent received by you for one or more of the above purposes;
- processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you or a company that you work for are/is a party to or in order to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract;
- processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which FossID is subject;
- processing is necessary in order to protect your vital interests;
- processing is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by FossID or by a third party.
- help you navigate our Website, analyse which pages you visit and personalize your experience;
- compile statistical reports on Website activities;
- administer and protect the security of our Website.
You have the ability to accept or decline cookies by modifying the settings in your browser, as well as delete any cookies that have been installed in the cookie folder of your browser. However, you may not be able to use all the interactive features or the full functionality of our Website if cookies are disabled/deleted.
How will personal information be used, shared or disclosed?
The personal information we collect will be used solely by and transferred only to FossID, its offices and subsidiaries around the world, its resellers and distributors, service providers, suppliers and other trusted partners, which are those companies contracted by FOSSID to deliver requested information and services to you, your employer or FossID, and in such instances, only to the extent permitted by applicable law. FossID product or service usage information may also be made available to your employer or entity on whose behalf you are using the product or service.
Additionally, your personal information is not shared outside FossID, except under conditions explained below and always in accordance with applicable law:
- when we have your consent to share the personal information;
- for legitimate purposes permitted by applicable law;
- if sharing your personal information is necessary to provide a product or service that is requested or used by you or your employer on whose behalf you are requesting or using the product or service;
- o provide up-to-date information to you either from us or from our service providers or trusted partners (where we are permitted to send these types of communications) on product releases, product updates or other information that might be of interest to you;
- in connection with, or during the negotiation of, any merger, sale of company assets, consolidation or restructuring, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by or to another company;
- in response to a request for information by a competent authority, including public, government or regulatory authorities, if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or is otherwise required by, any applicable law, regulation or legal process, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements;
- as part of an investigation, dispute or in defense of a legal claim;
- with law enforcement officials, government authorities, or other third parties as necessary to protect the rights, property, or safety of FossID, its business partners, you, or others, or as otherwise required by applicable law; and
- in aggregated and/or anonymized form which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
How long will the personal information be retained for?
We will retain your personal information as needed to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected, fulfill our contractual obligations, comply with our legal obligations, comply with statutory and regulatory requirements, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
How is personal information protected?
FossID has implemented and currently maintains appropriate technical and organizational measures, including technical standard security practices, encryption, passwords and physical security measures, to protect the ongoing security, confidentiality and integrity of your personal information. Only a limited number of persons within the company are authorized to access, modify and delete your personal information. Your information may be stored and processed by FossID’s service providers, suppliers and other trusted partners under similar technical and organizational measures, to protect the ongoing security, confidentiality and integrity of your personal information. As a standard information security practice, FossID urges you to protect your personal information in your communication and interaction with FossID through measures such as password management and use of secure browsers.
How can you access and update your personal information?
FOSSID encourages all individuals who provide personal information to FOSSID to keep their personal information accurate and up to date. Personal information may in many cases be updated by an individual online.
What rights do you have about the use of your personal information?
Subject to qualification under applicable law, you have certain rights regarding FossID’s use of your personal information.
Some of these rights, e.g., the right to request erasure (or right to be forgotten) or the right to request that we transfer your information to another company, will only apply in certain circumstances. Generally, these rights will not be available if there are outstanding contracts between us, if we are required by law to keep the information or if the information is relevant to a legal dispute.
Your rights are subject to restrictions under European data protection law and, subject to the exemptions in that law, may only apply to certain types of information or processing. Subject to European data protection law, you have the right to:
- request access to your personal information;
- request rectification of your personal information;
- request erasure of your personal information under certain circumstances;
- request restriction of processing of your personal information under certain circumstances;
- data portability under certain circumstances;
- withdraw your consent for certain types of processing;
- lodge a complaint with the relevant supervisory authority;
- request information from which source your personal information originates, if your personal information is not obtained from you;
- object to certain types of processing, if applicable.
If you would like to exercise, or discuss, any of these rights, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transferring your personal information outside of EEA
As part of the products and services offered to you, the personal information which you provide to us may be transferred to countries outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”), where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, suppliers and trusted partners. The EEA currently consists of the Member States of the European Union and Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. By submitting your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing. If we transfer your personal information outside of the EEA, we will take steps to ensure that appropriate security measures are taken with the aim of ensuring that your privacy rights continue to be protected as outlined in this Privacy Notice.
If you use our products or services while you are outside the EEA, your personal information may be transferred outside the EEA in order to provide you with those products or services.
Children and Privacy
Our Website, products or services do not target and are not intended to attract children under the age of 16. FossID does not knowingly solicit personal information from children under the age of 16 or sends them requests for personal information.
Changes to the Privacy Notice
FossID may amend and/or update this Privacy Notice from time to time, and if we make changes that affect the way we use your personal information, we will post a revised Privacy Notice on our Website. We recommend that you regularly review this page.
The Privacy Notice was last updated on May 23, 2018.